Location: 17 school gardens in Longview and Kelso, with central operations at Northlake Elementary, 2210 Olympia Way in Longview
Hours: Hours vary with seasons but are generally 8:30 to 5:00. This is a full time 11 month AmeriCorps position with minimum 1700 hours for the Sept 2016 – July 2017 term.
Compensation (through Cowlitz AmeriCorps Network):
- $1,140 per month living allowance
- $5,775 education award upon completion
- Basic medical insurance (if eligible)
- Childcare Benefits (if eligible)
1. Garden Assistant will lead groups of elementary and middle school students in a wide variety of garden activities. Planting seeds, turning compost, propagation, watering, fertilizing, transplanting, harvesting, preparing soil, mulching, planting fruit trees and berry bushes, saving seeds, general garden maintenance. Transport supplies to and from school site.
2. Teach garden related lessons tied to Common Core standards: examining worms and other garden creatures under microscopes, testing soil, identifying parts of plants, plant families, etc, as well as lessons on pollination, propagation, and natural history. Transport supplies to and from school site.
3. Teach hands-on healthy cooking lessons to groups of students. Garden Assistant will cook with students K-8 in outdoor kitchen (camp-type kitchen) environments as well as a few Home Ec classrooms where available. Students will learn basic cooking skills and prepare dishes using ingredients fresh from the garden. Examples: grilled vegetables, fresh salsa, roasted root vegetables, soup, lettuce wraps, salad, salad dressing, smoothies, pizza. Garden Assistant will plan activities, set up tables and equipment, set up hand-washing station, procure ingredients, give hands-on instruction, clean up, wash dishes.
4. Lead art and craft activities in the garden: drying flowers, painting garden signs, making bookmarks, grape vine wreaths, sewing, seed art. Will plan activities, set up craft station, provide specific instruction to students, clean up.
5. Garden Assistant will act as volunteer coordinator – recruiting, training, guiding, instructing, and maintaining contact through phone, email, and social media.
6. Perform general garden maintenance tasks – water, weed, mulch, haul soil & debris, spread leaves and manure, turn compost, clean and organize garden sheds and greenhouses, build trellises.
7. As a member of the Cowlitz AmeriCorps Team, participant will be required to attend trainings, participate in service projects, weekly meetings and other team activities.
- U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
- At least 17 years of age; there is no upper age limit.
- Able to lift 40 pounds, perform physical work for multiple hours in variety of weather conditions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Pass National Sex Offender Registry check, Washington State Background check, FBI background check.
- It takes a unique person to dedicate nearly a year of their life to service. We appreciate those who bring a can-do attitude, a sense of humor, a zest for learning, and enthusiasm! Must be willing to work with a diverse team and be committed to the idea and practice of service as a way to improve yourself and the lives of others. Self-discipline and motivation are central to success.
To apply, or for more information about AmeriCorps:
- Call (360) 577-5859
- Stop by the Life Works building at 906 New York St. in Longview