As of October 2013,
- LCSG has helped create and sustain twelve school gardens (totaling over 100,000 square feet) in Cowlitz County, as well as smaller projects at 4 other schools.
- 2920 students engaged in past 12 months
- 280 volunteers engaged in past 12 months.
- 9,540 volunteer hours in past 12 months.
October 2013 Harvest Festivals:
- 5 schools
- 1530 students
- 1,600 pounds of apples pressed for cider
- 1,100 ears of Willow Grove corn shucked and roasted
- 300 pounds roasted vegetables (potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, beets)
LCSG also facilitated gardening & cooking activities for kids in six Youth & Family Link programs and 9 Longview Parks and Recreation camps in 2013.
- Staff: one full time program director; one full time Cowlitz AmeriCorps member.
- 2012 budget: $85,000. All revenue comes from private donations from community members and local businesses as well as grants from foundations and corporations – no school district or government funding.
- In-kind donations for school gardens – seeds, tools, equipment, building materials, excavation and construction services, administrative & technology support – total over $150,000 since 2010.
Thank you – it’s working!